How to calculate increment as per 6th CPC..?

How to calculate increment as per 6th CPCHow to calculate the annual increment for Central Government employees as per 6th CPC..?

The logic is very simple, but everyone should know about the procedure of calculation.

We explain with some illustrations…
The increment is an increase in pay for each year in a particular date. As per 6th CPC the annual increment has been granted on 1st July of every year and the qualifying period for earning an increment is six months on 1st July. One increment is equal to 3% (three per cent)  of the sum of the pay in the pay band and the grade pay will be computed and rounded off to the next multiple of ten.

As per the Rule No.13 of CCS(Revised Pay) Rules 2008, “In the case of calculation of increments under the revised pay structure, paise should be ignored, but any amount of a rupee or more should be rounded off to next multiple of 10. To illustrate, if the amount of increment comes to Rs.1900.70 paise, then the amount will be rounded off to Rs.1900; if the amount of increment works out to be Rs.1901, then it will be rounded off to Rs.1910.”

And finally the increment amount will be added to the existing pay in the pay band.

For example :
An employee’s pay in the pay band is Rs.10,230 and his grade pay Rs.2800, his basic pay = 10,230 + 2,800 = 13,030

His increment will be calculated as follows…
13,030 x 3% = 390.90
after rounded off to ten, it will be 390 only.

Whereas, the another employee’s pay in the pay band is Rs.10240 and his grade pay Rs.2800, his basic pay = 10,240 + 2,800 = 13,040
His increment will be calculated as follows…
13,040 x 3% = 391.20
then it will be rounded off to Rs.400.


  1. SUJATA ROY says

    Regards Sirs/Madams, Though late Anomali Committee have granted one increment with one time concession to employees whose earlier increment dates were from February to June for 2006 only. What about any employee who joined on January 13 or so in 2008 ? Anomaly Committee and Govt. should consider not penalising them for an annual increment beyond 12 months. All concerned are requested to look into this for greater interests of employees concerned. Thanks to all. Sujata.

  2. Jagadeesh says

    Please let me know how to calculate annual increment for Professors in private educational institutes drawing pay according to Sixth Pay Commission and are there any mandates? When it should be given every year?

  3. sameer says

    At present I am a central government employee and I am joining to another central government department through technical resignation. In new department my date of joining is 31 December.
    I want to ask if I join my new department after 15 January through technical resignation, will I be able to get next increment in July, 2013?

    Thanks in advance.

  4. sumit singhal says

    in a very concise matter things have been explained very clearly that too with example

  5. sumit singhal says

    if a person was already in job (state govt.) and has changed his job (again in state govt.) to other state and joined in the month of May, is he eligible for the increment in July ??

  6. says

    What does it mean by qualifying period of six months for an increment? Suppose I have taken five days hpl in April 2014 then am I qualified for increment on 1 July 2014 or no? If no then when I would b eligible?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *