Increment Day for Central Government employees – 1st July of every year

Increment Day 1st July for Central Government Employees1st July of every year – ‘Increment Day’ for Central Government employees

As per the 6th Pay Commission CCS (Revised Pay) Rules 2008, provisions of Rule 10 with effect from 1.1.2006, uniform date of increment was implemented for all Central Government employees i.e. 1st July of every year. One more condition for getting increment is provided in this rule, completing six months in the same pay as on 1st of July are only eligible to be granted the annual increment.  Who have not rendered six months period of service as on first of a year will not be eligible to draw increment on that day and their date of increment will fall 12 months later on the next 1st of July.

Today is the ‘Increment Day’ for all Central Government employees. If the increment  day falls on Sundays or holidays, the next working day will be taken as resumption day. In case of an employee taken leave  2.7.2012, his increment benefit will be granted only from the date on which he resumes duty and not from the first of July.

There would be rare chance to occur such problems to take leave on increment day. But whereas, better to avoid to take leave on first working day of any year. Normally most in the Government organisations, promotion orders are not publishing on  the date of promotion. If the promotion date falls on first January, there should be condition on assumption that the promotee should be present for the duty on that day of promotion. If not, the promotion is to be granted only from the date of resumption of duty on return from leave. According to this rule, qualifying period for earning an increment is six months on 1st July, the date of next increment will postponed to the next year.

In the light of the above situation, if the first day of any year falls on Sundays or Holidays, the Dopt clarified that the ‘Government servants who join posts on the 1st working day of the year will be treated to have completed six months of service on 1st of July of that year for the purpose of granting them annual increment on that day’.

Every Central Government employee should know the calculation of Annual or Promotion increment, one increment is equal three percent of the sum of the Pay in the Pay Band plus Grade Pay and it should be calculated and rounded off to the next multiple of ten.

Annual Increment calculation :-

An employee’s basic pay of Rs.12,030 including Grade Pay of Rs.2,800, his increment fixation will be fixed as follows…

Basic Pay including Grade Pay : Rs.12,030

3% increment for Rs.12,030 and it rounded off to the next multiple of ten : Rs. 360

His Basic Pay as fixed on 1st July : Rs.12,390

[Note that in the case of calculation of increments under the revised pay structure of 6th CPC, paise should be ignored, but any amount of a rupee or more should be rounded off to next multiple of ten.]

Comments

1. j venkata rao says

dear friends,

can any one clarify on recommendations of 6cpc on stagnation increments?

2. Ravindra Bhimrao Kadam says

Sir , I have read your article about Increment Day for Central Government employees – 1st July of every year. Sir I would like to bring your notice that there is a serious misguiding in your aforesaid article about date of next increment that is (One more condition for getting increment is provided in this rule, completing six months in the same pay as on 1st of July are only eligible to be granted the annual increment.)
    I would like to bring your notice that the rule does not say that completing six months in the same (pay) rather the word used is (pay structure) and pay structure means pay band and corresponding grade pay. If a employee completes his six month service in revised pay structure on 1 July he is entitled to draw next increment on 01 July of that year. So the employee is entitled draw increment even though the pay in that pay structure changes in pay structure. So it is requested to amend article. as it is spreading wrong message to reader. Thanking You.

3. Anand says

Sir, i would like to know whether i am eligible for increment, as i am appointed to job only on the 10th of January and i didn’t complete continuous of work for six months as on 1st July

4. SUROJIT says

SIR, I WOULD LIKE TO PLACE A QUESTION HERE. I JOINED THE SERVICE ON 21st MARCH 2012.NOW, I’M ON EL AND WILL JOIN OFFICE ON 7th JULY. SO, AM I NOT ELIGIBLE FOR THE ANUAL INCREMENT FROM JULY1st? IF SO, THEN CAN SOMEONE PLEASE MENTION OF ANY GO OR CIRCULARS ETC REGARDING THIS? THANING YOU ALL.

5. K Sudarshan Kumar says

Sir I would like to ask you a question. I joined government service on 2-01-2013 in government college as a lecturer. Am i eligible for the an increment on 02-07-2013. If not, why am I not eligible and when am I eligible for annual increment. Please mention any circulations and Government Orders on this issue. For this purpose I would be very thankful to you.

6. PANKAJ KUMAR says

Sir,
    I have joined on 21JAN 2013. I have drawn 6 months salary. Am i eligible for july 2013 increment?

7. Y. Vijaya Phani says

Sir, I am in causal leave from 1July to 3July, 2013 and joined on 4th July, 2013, can I eligible for increment and from which date it falls.

8. Ekanathan says

Mr.Ravindra Bhimrao Kadam,
    Of course, this is too late to answer…
    You please read one more time this article…’the revised pay structure’ means after implementation of 6th CPC, individual pay fixation for annual increment will be in your revised pay as per the new pay structure with the guidelines of CCS(Revised Pay)Rules,2008. Particularly avoid to mean in the 5th CPC pay rules, because, the increment calculation as per 6th CPC recommendation is very much different with other CPCs.

9. Ekanathan says

Mr.Y. Vijaya Phani,
    Definitely you will get an annual increment of 3% from your basic pay (Pay in the pay band + Grade pay), but your assumption of duty on 4th July only. The annual increment calculation may be calculated from the date of assumption of duty. You will loose very small amount and you are eligible to get next annual increment on 1st July 2014, better to avoid to take leave on that day.

10. Ekanathan says

PANKAJ KUMAR
    I have joined on 21JAN 2013. I have drawn 6 months salary. Am i eligible for july 2013..?
    No, You are entitled to get an annual increment only on 1st July 2014. Criteria for getting annual increment is not on salary, on service. You have to complete six months to get an annual increment in your service according to the revised pay rules.

11. Ekanathan says

Mr.K Sudarshan Kumar,
    In central government services, who have joined on 2nd January they will not eligible for annual increment on 1st July of the same year. In case the 1st day of any year falls on Sundays or Holidays, the next working day will be taken as resumption day.

12. selvakumar says

sir,
    my service book has gone to head office for service verification, now, my question is whether i can get 3% increment on 01/07/2013 without my service book. my service book will return on August month only.

13. rakesh sharma says

I have been granted II MACP on 11.01.2013.May I opt MACP From 11.01.2013 or from the date of next increment i.e. on 01.07.2013?please sent your comment.

14. rakesh sharma says

HOW CAN I KNOW THE NAMES OF CENTRAL GOVERNMENT DEPARTMENTS WHERE UDC’s ARE GETTING INITIAL GRADE PAY Rs.4200/-

15. Ekanathan says

Mr.Selvakumar, I don’t think there is no connection between service book and granting of annual increment…

16. Ekanathan says

Mr.Rakesh, I don’t know whether UDCs are getting initially 4200 Grade Pay in Central Government Services or not…! but if you know about, pl. write the departments here.

17. K Raghunathan says

Sir,
    My appointment was on 31.01.1998.
    My senior scale sanction was on 31.01.2010. But i was denied my annual increment on 01.7.2010.. but my pay band was not changed ,only the grade pay was changed by increasing . I was neither given the increment in old grade pay (in which I completed 12 months nor in the new grade in which i did not complete 6 months. am I eligible for the increment on 01.07.2010?
    Because I am working 2 years without increment.