Posting of husband and wife at the same station – Dopt Order
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
(Department of Personnel & Training)
New Delhi the 12th June, 1997
Subject: Posting of husband and wife at the same station.
The undersigned is directed to say that on the subject mentioned above, Government had issued detailed guidelines vide O.M.NO. 28034/7/86-Estt.(A) dated 3.4.86. The Fifth Central Pay Commission has now recommended that not only the existing instructions regarding the need to post husband and wife at the same station need to be reiterated, it has also recommended that the scope of these instructions should be widened to include the provision that where posts at the appropriate level exist in the organisation at the same station, the husband and wife may invariably be posted together in order to enable them to lead a normal family life and look after the welfare of the children, especially till the children are 10 years of age.
2. The Government, after considering the matter, has decided to accept this recommendation of the Fifth Central Pay Commission. Accordingly, it is reiterated that all Ministries/Departments should strictly adhere to the guidelines laid down in O.M.NO. 28034/7/86-Estt.(A) dated 3.4.86 while deciding on the requests for posting of husband and wife at the same station and should ensure that such posting is invariably done, especially till their children are 10 years of age, if posts at the appropriate level exist in the organisation at the same station and if no administrative problems are expected to result as a consequence.
3. It is further clarified that even in cases where only the wife is a government servant, the concession elaborated in para 2 of this O.M. would be admissible to the government servant.
4. These instructions would be applicable only to posts within the same department and would not apply on appointment under the Central Staffing Scheme.
5. A copy of this Department’s O.M. No. 28034/7/86-Estt. (A) dated 3.4.86 is enclosed for ready reference and guidance.
6. Hindi version of the OM is enclosed
Joint Secretary to the Govt. of India
Tel.No. 301 1276