“National Postal week” – from 9th October 2010 to 15th October 2010
India Post: Reinventing itself
1. Every year 9th October is celebrated as “World Post Day” all over the world. In India, “World Post Day “is celebrated as a part of “National Postal Week” which had commenced from 9th October 2010 and would end on 15th October 2010.
2. The purpose of “National Postal week” is to create awareness of the role of the Postal Department among in people and businesses’ everyday lives and its contribution to the social & economic development. The celebration is aimed at generating a broader awareness of India Posts role and activities among the public and media on a national scale.
3. After consolidating the postal services in India in 1854, the British developed the postal service in towns, and in areas of military importance, to serve the imperial interests. However, after independence, the focus shifted for providing ‘universal postal service’ to every citizen, especially in the hitherto neglected rural, hilly and tribal areas. A post office is opened in these areas even if covers only 15% of its expenses.
4. Network of India Post is double when compared to the network of China. Out of 1,55, 204 post offices, 1,25,489 are functional in rural areas. Thus over 89 percent of post offices having an unbeatable reach, cater to the need of the rural masses and offer employment to no less than five lakh polpulation. Over 155 years, India Post evolved more than a “means of communication”. India Post has helped in nation building and connecting the diverse regions and populance of the country, India Post has the privilege of touching the lives of the Indians in more ways than one. It has indeed come a long way from nearly transmitting messages to providing a wide range of services for the socio-economic betterment of the people.
5. To leverage information technology, to attain a position leadership and excellence in delivery of postal services, transforming the Department to a modern communications and financial services agency, India Post has undertaken key initiatives for computerisation and networking, modernisation of post offices and creating National Data Centre with a view to empower the customers and the managers for availing improved quality of postal services.
6. Today India Post is re-inventing and has evolved into a service that contributes to the needs of a fast growing economy by supporting various Business activities. Since 2008, “Aam Aadmi Project” popularly known as “Project Arrow” scheme – an initiative to transform India Post into a vibrant and responsive organisation and to make a visible and positive difference in postal operations to benefit the customers has been launched in the true spirit of vision as a “socially committed, technology driven, professionally managed and forward looking Organization”.
7. Trust of the local people, intimate knowledge of people and locality, Central role in village life and experience of handling large sum of money are the some of the strengths of rural post offices. Riding on these strengths of the post offices and leveraging the last mile of the vast network to offer customised services to suit the requirements of business partners by using the existing products and services enriched with value added features to create business packages for corporate customers now India Post is available for Business tie-up with partners and customers.
8. Today, India Post offers a variety of services to its customers as elucidated below:
a) Speed Post- An Express Mail Service for your time sensitive mail with One India one rate, and local rate.
b) Speed Post Passport Service- Sale and acceptance of passport application forms at selected Post Offices.
c) Business Post- One stop solution which includes pre-mailing activities like insertion, gumming, addressing, franking, and sorting for bulk mails.
d) Express Parcel Post- It guarantees speedy delivery of parcels upto 35 kgs through surface route.
e) Bill Mail Service- A cost effective service that enables users to send bills, financial statements & account statements in the city at economical rates.
f) National Bill Mail Service- A cost effective solution for pick-up, processing and delivery of financial statements and bills throughout the country. The National Bill Mail Service has also a free e-IOD facility bundled with it.
g) Media Post- Through this service, your products and services can be advertised on Postal Stationeries, passports, Post Office Buildings, etc.
h) Logistic Post- Is an extremely cost effective means to deliver consignment loads along with all facilities of logistic chain for e.g. warehousing and order fulfilment including CoD facility.
i) Direct Post- Is an economical service meant for Direct marketing and publicity through unaddressed communication.
j) e-Post- Can be used to send text messages or scanned documents to any remote place throughout the country; by e-mails through Post Offices to print at receiving offices and deliver them at very nominal cost. Corporate/Business customers can use e-Corporate services.
k) e-Payment- can be used for bills as well as cash collection and web based electronic consolidation all over India. This facility caters to any kind of cash collection from many-to-one.
l) e-MO- It provides web based transmission of money orders at economical prices to be delivered by postmen at the customer’s door step
m) iMO- Is a service aimed at providing Web-based transmission of money up to Rs.50,000/- to be collected at the Post Office counter between two individuals within India.
n) MO Videsh- Facilitates remittances to foreign countries and receiving of remittances from foreign countries through the medium of one hundred selected post offices in the circle.
o) New Pension Scheme(NPS)- makes available to the common citizen on behalf of PFRDA (Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority) and offers a low cost option for planning their retirement. The services are available in all 61 Head Post Offices in Maharashtra Circle.
p) Free Post- These services are very similar to Toll-Free service on telephones available at very reasonable cost.
q) e-IOD- It is a facility where Web-based electronic intimation of delivery of bulk letters is provided at fifty paise per article for all classes of articles including Greetings and Bill Mail Service.
9. Similarly, India Post is ready to become Logistic Partner for Chain Supply Management for Businesses giving total distribution solution including warehousing offering available basket of products and services i.e. parcel, Express Parcel Post, Speed Post and Logistic Posts. Recently, India Post has also come up with ‘Print to Post Solution’ which offers printing, premailing, despatch and distribution of high volume mail under one stop shop arrangement giving complete solution for document printing, data management and delivery services.
10. Leveraging the last mile reach of the vast unbeatable and unparellel network of India Post, a complete distribution and financial solution is also being offered under Retail Post for any type of Bill collections, premium collections, sale of application forms, sale of passport application form, address verification, disbursal of micro credit, rakhi envelopes, sale of gold coins, sale/purchase of foreign currency, sale of flat rate boxes, and finally providing travel solutions in a tie up with the Ministry of Railways and sale of rail/air/bus tickets in association with ARM-1 Solutions.
11. India Post also acting as a multifarious marketeer playing the role of facilitator of Business, an Insurant, a finance Mart- an agent of social development. The innumerable services as a Change Agent to promote financial inclusiveness and as a trustworthy and reliable banker have touched millions in myriad ways. Post Office Saving Bank is the oldest and largest Banking Institution in the country. It has a customer base of more than 220 million account holders being served from network of 1,54,000 branches. The outstanding balance under various saving schemes is over 6,00,000 crores as on date.
12. On social front, India Post has also been given the responsibility by Ministry of Rural Development, Govt. Of India for disbursing the wages to the beneficiaries of National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme by opening their saving bank accounts in Post Offices.
13. In the area of Insurance sector, Postal Life Insurance scheme introduced in 1884 is the oldest Life Insurance scheme for the benefit of central/state Government employees, Civil and Military personal, local bodies, Government aided educational institutions, Universities, Nationalised Banks and Public Sector undertaking. In a major innovative, Rural Postal Life Insurance introduced has been in the year 1995 for the benefit of rural populance.
14. Today, while celebrating “Business Development Day” Maharashtra Circle is all set to launch sale of iCODECARD of iCODE Management System Pvt. Ltd and generate sale lead and sale conversion of “Chotukool Thunder” of Godrej & Boyce Ltd. Besides this, Maharashtra Circle will also provide distribution solutions from single point to Godrej & Boyce Ltd. through Express Parcel Post Service.
15. The celebrations are scheduled to be held at Meghdoot Terrace of Mumbai GPO building from 19.00 hrs onwards on 14th October, 2010. Shri Faiz-Ur-Rehman, Chief Postmaster General, Maharashtra Circle will be the Chief Guest. The function will be attended by eminent personalities from all walks of life i.e. officers of Central Government, State Government, Public sector undertakings, Corporates and representatives from Business houses, insurance, banking, financial, educational and corporate sector including representatives from press and electronic media.
Source: PIB Mumbai