Railway Pensioners/Family Pensioners, are you getting the FMA ( Fixed Medical Allowance? )
If you are not getting the FMA then – please read below the orders carefully & Apply to your PDA / Bank with above Undertaking to pay you the FMA forthwith From the date you are residing beyond 2.5 KM from Railway Hospital / Health Unit
Important old Orders for Ready Reference
FMA (Fixed Medical Allowance) to Pensioners/Family Pensioners – Residing 2.5 KMs from Railway Hospital – Admissibility & Form of undertaking Copy of RB No. PC-V/9/1/7/1 RBE No 45-2004 Dated 1-3-2004
Sub: Implementation of Government’s decision on the recommendations of the 5th Central pay Commission – grant of Fixed Medical Allowance @ Rs.100 p.m. to the Railway pensioners/family pensioners
1. In compliance with the Judgement dated 12-11-2002 of High Court of Kerala in OP No.17380/2002 arising out of O.A. No 430/2000 in CAT/ Ernakulam, sanction of the President is hereby to the Grant of Fixed Medical Allowance @ Rs.100/- p.m. pensioners/family pensioners residing beyond 2.5 KMs from a Railway Hospital/Health Unit subject to furnishing of an undertaking as per the attached Proforma.
2.All the Pension Disbursing authorities are required to obtain the above undertaking of the concerned Pensioners / Family Pensioner to the effect that he/she resides beyond 2.5 KMs from the nearest Railway Hospital/ Health Unit before payment of Medical Allowance is made. An entry to this effect should be made in both halves of their PPOs.
3. Other terms & conditions for grant of Medical Allowance as specified in Board’s letter of even No.dated 21-4-99 will remain in force.
4. This issues with the concurrence of the Finance Directorate of the Railway Board.
5. These instructions are subject to the final outcome of the SLP (c) No 21320/2003 pending in the Hon’ble Supreme Court.
UNDERTAKING (for FMA)
(To be submitted by pensioner/family pensioner to his/her Pension Disbursing Authority/Bank)
I,————————-a retired employee/Family Pensioner whose spouse was an employee of (Office address) ————————————————————————-declare that I am residing at (residential address indicated in the PPO)————————————————————————–,which is beyond 2.5 KMs from the nearest Railway Hospital / Health Unit (name of the Hospital / Health Unit) ———————————————————————
PPO No —————————————
FMA to Railway Pensioners / Family Pensioners residing in Lockup Dispensary Areas
Copy of RB SL No. PC-VI231 PC-W981J/7/1/1 RBE No. 271-1999 dated 21.10.99
To the Chief General Manager, Reserve Bank of India, Deptt. of Government and Bank Accounts, Central Office. C-7, 2nd Floor, Bandra Kurla Complex, Bandra (East), P.D. NO.8143, Mumbai-400051 & Director General of Post, Department of Post, Dak Tar Bhawan, New Delhi
Subject: Implementation of Government’s decision on the recommendations of the 5th Central Pay Commission – grant of fixed medical allowance @ &.100 p.m. to the Railway pensioners/family pensioners,
Ref: Railway Board’s letter of even number dated 21.4.99
The list of Lock up dispensaries as mentioned in Annexure-III to Board’s letter cited above may please be treated as deleted. Thus all pensioners who are residing in such areas where lock up dispensaries are situated and where no other health unit is available shall be entitled to grant of Medical Allowance @ Rs.100 p.m. provided they opt for the same, subject to all other terms and conditions mentioned in Railway Board’s letter referred to above.
FIXED MEDICAL ALLOWANCE RAISED FROM Rs.100 TO Rs.300 PM
Copy of Railway Board’s letter No. PC-V/2010/A/Med/1 dated 29-06-2010 (RBE No. 92-2010)
Subject: Grant of Fixed Medical Allowance (FMA) to the Railway Pensioner/ Family Pensioner- Reg.
In pursuance of Government’s decision on the recommendations of the Fifth Central Pay Commission, instructions regarding grant of Fixed Medical Allowance @ Rs.100/- per month to the Railway pensioners/family pensioners were issued vide Railway Board’s letter No. PC- V/98/1/7/1/1 dated 21-4-99 and subsequently amended from time to time; the last being letter No. PC-V/2006/A/Med/1 dated 1-9-2009.
2. In this connection, Department of Pension & Pensioners Welfare (DoP & PW), the nodal Department on the subject have advised vide OM N0. 4/25/2008- P&PW (D) dated the 25-5-2010 the demand for enhancement of Fixed Medical Allowance has been under consideration of the Government for some time past and the amount of Fixed Medical Allowance has been enhanced from Rs.100/- to Rs.300/- per month. The other conditions for grant of Fixed Medical Allowance shall continue to be in force.
3. These orders shall take effect from 01.09.2008.
4. This issues with the concurrence of the Finance Directorate of the Ministry of Railways.
Important old Orders for Ready Reference
FMA to Pensioners/family pensioners residing beyond 2.5 KMs from RH
RB No.PC- V /489 NO.PC-V/98/I/7/1/1 RBE No. 99 /2007 dated 24.07.2007
Sub: Implementation of Government’s decision on the recommendations of the 5th Central pay Commission – grant of Fixed Medical Allowance @ Rs.I00 p.m. to the Railway pensioners/family pensioners
In supersession of para 5 of Board’s letter of even number dated 1-3-2004, it has been decided that in compliance with the Judgement dated 17-11-2006 of the Hon’ble Supreme Court dismissing the SLP No.21230/2003 arising out of O.A.No. 430/2000, Fixed Medical Allowance @ Rs.100/- per month to Railway pensioners/family pensioners residing beyond 2.5KMs from Railway hospital/health unit may be granted on absolute basis subject to furnishing of the requisite undertaking.
2. Other terms and conditions for grant of Medical Allowance as specified in the Board’s letter of even number dated 1-3-2004 will remain in force.
3. This issues with the concurrence of the Finance Directorate of the Ministry of Railways.
FMA – Admissibility – irrespective of fact whether member or not of RELHS
RB No.PC- V /496 N o.PC- V /98/1/7 /1/1 RBE NO.22/2008 dated 7.02.2008
Sub:- Grant of Fixed Medical Allowance @ RS.100/ – per month to Railway pensioners and family pensioners –
References have been received from Railway pensioners/family pensioners, Banks & other establishments seeking clarification on the issue of payment of Fixed Medical Allowance @ Rs.100/-per month to Railway pensioners/ family pensioners irrespective of the fact whether they are members or not of RELHS, or, any other health scheme. There have also been demands to eliminate the distance criterion of 2.5km, for the purpose of grant of Fixed Medical Allowance.
In this connection, it is stated that as per extant instructions, Fixed Medical Allowance is granted to only those Railway Pensioners/Family Pensioners, who reside beyond 2.5kms, from Railway Hospital/Health Units, irrespective of the fact whether they are members, or not, of RELHS. It is, reiterated, that the pensioner is, however, required to be eligible for being enrolled under a health scheme, in terms of Board’s letter NO.97/H/28/l dated 23.10.1997 and actual enrolment under the scheme, is not compulsory. As regards the distance limit, it is clarified that the distance limit of 2.5kms has been imposed by Hon’ble CAT/Ernakulam and subsequently, upheld by the Hon’ble Supreme Court. As such, altering this limit, or, eliminating the same, is beyond the competence of this department. Railways are requested to dispose of cases pertaining to Fixed
Medical Allowance, on the above lines.
Source: Pensioners Rail Sampark Page 7 April – June, 2010