Ministry of Information & Broadcasting
Citizen and Client Charter uploaded on I&B Ministry Website
The Ministry of Information & Broadcasting has uploaded Citizen/ Client’s Charter on its website. The vision of the Citizen/ Client’s Charter is to create an enabling environment for Media and Entertainment sector, with appropriate policy framework, to help it grow at a sustainable annual growth rate of above 12 per cent and, in the process, take the benefits of the emerging technologies to disseminate information on the Government’s policies, programmes and its achievement, and facilitate value based wholesome entertainment for the people of India.
The Mission of the Charter is:
· To effectively disseminate information on the policies, programmes and achievements of Government while ensuring free flow of information to the public and safeguarding freedom of the press and media in general.
· To promote, facilitate and develop the Broadcasting Industry in India and strengthen the Public Service Broadcaster.
· To promote and develop good and value based content for healthy entertainment of people of all ages and create a policy framework for achieving this.
· Universal Digitalization for broadcasting by 2017.
· Expansion of FM Radio network to all cities with a population of one lakh and above by 2014.
· To restore, digitalize, preserve and enhance public access to the archival wealth of films, video and audio resources.
· Digital conversion of Indian Films by 2017.
· Human Resource Development and setting up of the Centres if Excellence for Media and Entertainment sectors
The Charter outlines all the major services rendered by the Ministry to the citizens alongwith the procedure and the stipulated timelines. The subject listed are as follows:
· Issue of license for providing DTH services to prospective licensee.
· Issue of License to Multi System Operators.
· Setting up teleports by TV Channels for uplinking/ downlinking.
· Issue of permission for Uplinking/ Downlinking of TV Channels uplinked from India.
· Issue of Permission for Down linking of TV Channels uplinked from Abroad.
· Setting up of Community Radio Stations(CRS) by Non-Governmental Organisations(NGO), Educational Institutes and Krishi Vigyan Kendras /Institutes.
· Issue of approval letter for the publication of Indian editions of foreign magazines/ journal/ periodical /New Magazine by an entity having foreign investment in the category of Speciality/ Technical/ Scientific.
· Issue of approval letter for the publication of Indian editions of foreign magazines dealing with news and current affairs/ newspapers by an entity having foreign investment/ facsimile edition of foreign newspaper by an entity having/not having foreign investment.
· To facilitate and encourage the Media Units falling under the administrative control of Ministry to discharge their functions as per their individual Citizens’ Charter and to issue instructions thereof.
· Issue of permission letter to the foreign Producers for shooting of feature films for TV/Cinema and reality shows/commercial TV serials.
The Charter also highlights the Evaluation Criteria, Performance and Service Standards for each of the services identified.