Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions
Department of Personnel and Training
New Delhi, dated the 5th May, 2003
Subject : Time-limit for making compassionate appointment.
The undersigned is directed to refer to Department of Personnel and Training OM No.14014/6/94-Estt(D) dated October 9, 1998 on the above subject and to say that the question of prescribing a time for making appointment on compassionate grounds has been examined in the light of representations received, stating that the one year limit prescribed for grant of compassionate appointment is often resulting in depriving genuine cases seeking compassionate appointments, on account of regular vacancies not being available, within the prescribed period of one year and within the prescribed ceiling of 5% of direct recruitment quoto.
2. It has, therefore, been decided that if compassionate appointment to genuine and deserving cases, as per the guidelines contained in the above OMs is not possible in the first year, due to non-availability of regular vacancy, the prescribed Committee may review such cases to evaluate the financial conditions of the family to arrive at a decision as to whether a particular case warrants extension by one more year, for consideration for compassionate appointment by the Committee, subject to availability of a clear vacancy within the prescribed 5% quoto. If an scrutiny by the Committee, a case is considered to be deserving, the name of such a person can be continued for consideration for one more year.
3. The maximum time a person’s name can be kept under consideration for offering Compassionate Appointment will be three years, subject to the conditions that the prescribed Committee has reviewed and certified the penurious condition of the applicant at the end of the first and the second year. After three years, if compassioante appointment is not possible to be offered to the Applicant, his case will be finally closed, and will not be considered again.
4. The instructions contained in the above mentioned OMs stand modified to the extent mentioned above.
5. The above decision may be brought to the notice of all concerned for information, guidance and necessary action.
6. Hindi version will follow.