Consumer Price Index Numbers for Industrial Workers (CPI-IW) December 2012
The All-India CPI-IW for December, 2012 rose by 1 point and pegged at 219 (two hundred and nineteen). On 1-month percentage change, it increased by 0.46 per cent between .November and December compared with (–)1.01 per cent between the same two months a year ago.
The largest upward contribution to the change in current index came from Miscellaneous Group which increased by 1.08 per cent, contributing 0.49 percentage points to the total change. This was followed by Clothing, Bedding & Footwear and Fuel & Light groups with 1.17 and 0.92 percent respectively contributing 0.13 and 0.10 percentage points to the change. At item level , largest upward pressure came from Rice, Wheat Atta, Groundnut oil, Fish Fresh, Goat Meat, Poultry (Chicken), Onion, Tea (Leaf), Tea (readymade),Electricity charges, Firewood, Sweater, E.S.I. contribution, Medicine (Allopathic), Private Tution Fees, us fare, Flower/ Flower Garlands, Tailoring Charges, etc. The largest downward contribution to the change in current index came from Vegetables & Fruits with a decline of (-) 8.33 per cent contributing (-) 1.21 percentage points to the total change. The year-on-year inflation measured by monthly CPI-IW stood at 11.17 per cent for December, 2012 as compared to 9.55 per cent for the previous month and 6.49 per cent during the corresponding month of the previous year. Similarly, the Food inflation stood at 13.53 per cent against 10.85 per cent of the previous month and 1.97 per cent during the corresponding month of the previous year.
At centre level, Hubli Dharwar recorded the largest increase of 10 points followed by Quilon (8 points) and Mundalakkayam and Ernaculam (7 points each) and Mysore (5 points). Among others, 4 per cent rise was registered in 2 centres, 3 points in one centre, 2 points in 11 centres and one point in 12 centres. Doom Dooma Tinsukiya centre reported a decline of 5 points followed by Jalpaiguri and Faridabad 4 points each. Among others 6 centres registered a fall of 3 points, 11 centres registered a fall of 2 points and 13 centres registered a fall of 1 point. Rest of the 14 centres indices remained stationary. The indices of 37 centres are above All-India Index and other 37 centres’ indices are below national average. The indices of Jabalpur, Bengaluru, Chandigarh and Haldiya remained at par with all-India index.
The next index of CPI-IW for the month of January, 2013 will be released on Thursday, February 28, 2013 and will be uploaded on the office website www.labourbureau.nic.in on the same day.