Railway reservation through Mobile Phone (SMS) started from 1st July 2013
RAILWAY TICKET THROUGH SMS STARTED FROM 1ST JULY 2013
As a pilot project, tickets can now be booked through SMS w.e.f 1st July 2013.The tickets can now be booked through non internet based mobile phones. People can now have easy access of Railway ticketing services through SMS/IVRS/USSD. The scheme is user friendly, secure and also eco friendly as no print out is required.
The salient features are as follows :-
- There will be a dedicated number on which SMS can be sent.
- No need of internet at any stage viz. booking, payment, cancellation etc.
- One has to register the mobile number with IRCTC as well as one’s Bank. The Bank provides MMID (Mobile Money Identifier) and OTP (One Time Password) for authorization of payment.
- The passenger has to type the train number, destination, journey date, class and passenger details like name, age and gender on the SMS box.
- The sender will receive transaction ID and then make payment through sending another SMS by typing PAY followed by the transaction ID, MMID as received from the bank and password.
- On successful booking of ticket, message will be sent to the user by IRCTC which will suffice as valid authority to travel along with photo ID card in original.
- Cancellation of tickets can also be done through the cancellation option available.
- The scheme will be on pilot basis and will not be available during the 8 a.m. – 12 p.m. for booking ARP/Tatkal/General tickets.