GPF Rules 1960 – Assignment of policies, Bonus of Policies
General Provident Fund Rules 1960 – Shrot Title and Commencement, Definition and Constitution of Fund
THE GENERAL PROVIDENT FUND (CENTRAL SERVICES) RULES, 1960
PART IX – MISCELLANEOUS
RULE 22- ASSIGNMENT OF POLICIES
(1) The policy within six months after the first withholding of a subscription or withdrawal from the Fund in respect of the policy or in the case of an insurance company whose headquarters are outside India, within such further period as the Accounts Officer, if he is satisfied by the production of the completion certificate (interim receipt), may fix, shall-
(a) unless it is a policy effected by a male subscriber which is expressed on the face of it to be for the benefit of the wife of the subscriber, or of his wife and children or any of them, be assigned to the President as security for the payment of any sum which may become payable to the Fund under rule 27, and delivered to the Accounts Officer, the assignment being made by endorsement on the policy in Form (1) or Form (2) Or Form (3) of the Forms in the Second Schedule according as the policy is on the life of the subscriber or on the joint lives of the subscriber and the subscriber’s wife or husband or the policy has previously been assigned to the subscriber’s wife;
(b) if it is a policy effected by a male subscriber which is expressed on the face of it to be for the benefit of the wife of the subscriber or of his wife and children or any of them, be delivered to the Accounts Officer.
(2) The Accounts Officer shall satisfy himself by reference to the Insurance Company where possible, that no prior assignment of the policy exists.
(3) Once a policy has been accepted by an Accounts Officer for the purpose of being financed from the Fund, the terms of the policy shall not be altered nor shall the policy be exchanged for another policy without the prior consent of the Accounts Officer to whom details of the alteration or of the new policy shall be furnished.
(4) If the policy is not assigned and delivered, or delivered, within the said period of six months or such further period as the Accounts Officer may, under sub-rule (1), have fixed, any amount withheld or withdrawn from the Fund in respect of the policy shall, forthwith be paid or repaid, as the case may be, by the subscriber to the Fund, or, in default be ordered by the Accounts Officer to be recovered by deduction from the emoluments of the subscriber, by instalments or otherwise, as may be directed by the authority competent to sanction an advance for the grant of which special reasons are required, under sub-rule (2) of rule 12.
(5) Notice of assignment of the policy shall be given by the subscriber to the Insurance Company, and the acknowledgement of the notice by the Insurance Company shall be sent to the Accounts Officer within three months of the date of assignment.
Note 1.-Subscribers are advised to send notice of the assignment to the Insurance Company in duplicate, accompanied in cases in which the notice has to be sent to a company in Great Britain or Ireland, by a remittance of five shillings, which is the fee for the acknowledgement authorized by the Policies of Assurance Act, 1867.
Note 2 – Subscribers who proceed to Great Britain or Ireland on quitting the service are advised that under the English Stamp Law assignments or re-assignments are required to be stamped within 30 days of their first arrival in those countries. Otherwise penalty will be incurred under the Stamp Act, and difficulties may arise when the policy matures for payment.
RULE 23- BONUS OF POLICIES
The subscriber shall not during the currency of the policy draw any bonus the drawal of which during such currency is optional under the terms of the policy, and the amount of any bonus which under the terms of the policy the subscriber has no option to refrain from drawing during its currency, shall be paid forthwith into the Fund by the subscriber or in default recovered by deduction from his emoluments by instalments or otherwise as may be directed by the authority competent to sanction an advance for the grant of which special reasons are required under sub-rule (2) of rule 12.